What many people don’t realize about their plumbing system is that all the pipes in their home are connected to the same sewer line. This main sewer line is responsible for getting rid of the wastewater in your home. Not only is it constantly utilized, but it is also outside in the elements. This can mean that there is significant wear and tear that takes place every single day. The Original $49.95 Plumber is here to talk about your sewer line and what can cause blockages and other problems with it.
What Causes Damage to Sewer Lines?
As mentioned above, there are several issues that can arise with your sewer line because it is out in the elements and is used on a daily basis. Here are some of the most common problems that leave homeowners with sewer line issues.
– Tree Roots: The trees on your property are there for beauty and shade. However, as they age, their root system becomes more and more complex. There are some trees that have a strong and aggressive root system. It isn’t uncommon for tree roots to cause damage to the sewer line. The roots often break the pipes and dirt and other debris leaks in and causes blockages and water leaks.
– Pipe Damage: Because the pipe is found outside in the elements, it has to withstand the constant changing temperatures. This means that the ground is freezing and thawing with soil shrinking and swelling. It can be hard on pipes and leave them damaged over time.
– Sagging Line: You never want the sewer line to your home to sag. This usually happens when there is shifting in the ground. A sagging line can become a collector of waste, toilet paper and other debris that can cause problems. You need to keep the same decline in the pipe so that water can easily drain. If that can’t happen, you will get backups.
– Flushing the Wrong Items: Your toilet is made to handle human waste and toilet paper. That is it. You shouldn’t be flushing anything else down the toilet. Things like feminine hygiene products, food, paper towels and flushable wipes will only cause problems down the line.
– Garbage Disposal Items: There are certain things that shouldn’t go in your garbage disposal either. Your disposal isn’t a garbage bin. You need to keep food in the garbage disposal to a minimum. Here are some things you shouldn’t put in your disposal.
-cooking oil, grease, fat
-pasta & rice
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
If you have a problem with your sewer line or think that there may be a problem with it, you can call on the pros at The Original $49.95 Plumber to get to the bottom of it. We can do a camera inspection to see what we are dealing with. If you are in need of cleaning, we can handle that too. Call us today!