As one walks into a bathroom or kitchen, you can instantly detect an unidentified odor, and only after checking the usual places do you realize the source coming from the drain. If it is the kitchen sink with a ready garbage disposal, some would run the disposal thinking perhaps left-over food was left in the drain. To effectively remove any stench, the odors need to be properly neutralized. we at The Original $49.95 Plumber would like to share the common causes to drain odors and how to eliminate it.
What Causes Drain Smell in House?
Poor Plumbing: Odors will seep from a bathroom or kitchen sink if there are any missing traps or vents, leaks, and rotting drain tubes.
Presence of Bacteria and Sludge: Likely lining your pipes include hair, soap residues, grease, food, and other gunky debris. Bacteria are attracted to these elements in the drain, even if a clog doesn’t form.
Vent Pipes are Obstructed: Water can start to pool in the sink when substances clog drain vents. Stagnant odors become evident due to the sluggish water movement.
Sewer Gases: Sewer gases can rise from the drain due to empty P-traps. Sinks that are infrequently used are usually only affected by this.
Remedy for How to Clean a Stinky Drain
– Boiling Water & Vinegar Method. Pour boiling water and vinegar down the drain. Pour down the drain a half a pot of water and white vinegar. Allow it to break down the filth in the drains for about 5 minutes, then rinse the pipe with cold water to solidify any lingering gunk. The rest of the pot of hot water/ vinegar needs to be flushed down the drain.
– Baking Soda & Vinegar Method. Pour baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Run the hot water tap and then shut it off for several seconds. Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain first and then 2 cups of hot vinegar. Turn the hot water tap on and let it wash down the drain for about an hour and after the fizzing has stopped.
– P-trap Maintenance. Wear your rubber gloves and use your wrench to remove the curved portion of the plumbing beneath the sink. Use the garden hose outside to rinse it out the P-trap. Obviously, before using the sink again, reassemble the plumbing.
– Clean Drain Vent. Where all drain vents to in most homes a single opening on the roof. Clear away any leaves or other debris clogging the drain vent after you climb up on the roof using a sturdy ladder.
How Do You Maintain a Drain?
You can combat smelly drains by preventing them with simple steps listed below.
1) Every time you dispose of food down the kitchen sink, make certain to let the garbage disposal run for at least 20 seconds.
2) Once a week, pour a gallon of near-boiling water down the drain.
3) In rarely used sinks, periodically run water down the drain to keep the P-trap full of water. Add mineral oil to slow evaporation.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
With a professional drain cleaning, you can avoid clogs and odors. Call The Original $49.95 Plumber and let us get your drains cleaned.