When entering bathrooms or kitchens, and typically, it is often coming from the drains, unidentified odors are instantly detective commonly. If it is the kitchen sink is equipped with a ready garbage disposal, some would run the disposal thinking perhaps left-over food was left in the drain. There are however other reasons as to why a drain can be left smelly. To take care of smelly drains, we at The Original $49.95 Plumber would like to discuss the reasons and options today.
What Causes Foul Smelling Drains?
When you notice the developing odors in the drain, below are the most common culprits.
– Plumbing Issues: The odors will seep from a bathroom or kitchen sink if there are any missing traps or vents, leaks, and rotting drain tubes.
– Bacteria & Sludge: Sludge buildup comes from soap residues, gunky debris, grease, food, and hair. Bacteria is attracted to these articles in the drain even if it doesn’t develop a clog.
– Clogged Vent Pipes: Water can start to pool in the sink when substances clog drains vents. The stagnant odors become evident due to the sluggish water movement.
– Sewer Gases: Sewer gases can rise from the drain if the P-traps are empty. Sinks that are infrequently used are usually to blame.
– Deodorize: To refresh a smelly drain, you need baking soda, near boiling water or white vinegar, rubber gloves, bucket, a hose, wrench, and a ladder. There are ways to neutralize the odors and combining them can be more effective in some cases.
How Do You Get Rid of Sewage or Other Smell in Drains
1) Flush the drain by pouring it slowly with either vinegar or a pot of near boiling water. Rinse the pipe with cold water to solidify any lingering gunk after letting it linger for 5 minutes or so. Flush the remaining pot of hot water or vinegar down the drain.
2) Clean out the P-trap. To remove the curved portion of the plumbing beneath the sink, make certain to wear rubber gloves and use the wrench. Catching it in the bucket, empty any water and gunk from the trap. After taking the P-trap outside, use the garden hose to rinse it out. Before using the sink, reassemble the plumbing.
3) Clean drain vent. In most homes, all drain vents a single opening on the roof. Clear away any leaves or other debris clogging the drain vent once you climb up on the roof using a sturdy ladder
How are Smells Prevented in Drainage?
You can combat the unpleasant odors by preventing the smelly drains with simple steps listed below.
1) Pour a gallon of near-boiling water down it, flush the drain once a week.
2) By periodically running water down the drain to keep the P-trap full of water in rarely used sinks. Add mineral oil to slow evaporation.
3) Every time you dispose of food down the kitchen sink, ensure to let the garbage disposal run for at least 20 seconds.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
With a professional drain cleaning, you can avoid clogs and odors. To eliminate the clogs and odors, contact The Original $49.95 Plumber and let us get your drains cleaned.