Clogs are a common and frustrating problem that can occur in various areas of your home, such as your kitchen sink, bathroom drain, or toilet bowl. A clog occurs when something obstructs the flow of water or other liquids through a pipe, causing it to back up and potentially cause damage or overflow. There are several common sources of clogs that you should be aware of to prevent them from occurring in your home. With this in mind, we at The Original $49.95 Plumber would like to share these common sources of clogs.
Why Do My Drains Keep Getting Blocked?
1) Hair: Hair is one of the most common sources of clogs in bathroom drains and shower stalls. As you wash your hair, strands can become tangled and accumulate in the drain, eventually forming a blockage. It’s important to remove hair from the drain regularly to prevent it from building up and causing a clog.
2) Soap and Shampoo Residue: Soap and shampoo residue can also contribute to clogs in bathroom drains. Over time, soap and shampoo can accumulate on the sides of pipes and cause them to narrow, reducing the flow of water. Regular cleaning can prevent buildup and help to keep your pipes flowing freely.
3) Food Scraps: Food scraps can easily become stuck in your kitchen sink drain, causing a clog. To prevent this, make sure to scrape food scraps into the trash can before washing dishes, and avoid pouring oil or grease down the drain.
4) Grease and Oil: Grease and oil are common sources of clogs in kitchen drains. As these substances cool and solidify, they can stick to the sides of pipes and cause a blockage. To prevent this, avoid pouring grease and oil down the drain and dispose of them properly.
5) Foreign Objects: Foreign objects, such as toys or jewelry, can accidentally fall into your toilet bowl or sink drain and cause a clog. It’s important to keep these items away from your drains and to be mindful of what you’re flushing down the toilet.
6) Tree Roots: Tree roots can invade underground pipes and cause clogs. If you have trees on your property, it’s important to keep them trimmed and to have your pipes inspected regularly to ensure that tree roots aren’t causing any damage.
7) Mineral Buildup: Mineral buildup is a common problem in areas with hard water. Over time, minerals can accumulate on the sides of pipes and cause them to narrow, reducing water flow and leading to clogs. Installing a water softener can help to prevent mineral buildup and prolong the life of your pipes.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
Clogs can be a frustrating and inconvenient problem for homeowners, but there are several common sources of clogs that can be prevented with regular maintenance and care. By being mindful of what you put down your drains and regularly cleaning them, you can prevent clogs from occurring and keep your plumbing system running smoothly. When you have clog that won’t clear with your own efforts in New York, contact The Original $49.95 Plumber and let us take care of you!