If you are like many people, the plumbing in your home is one of the last things that you think about. Many people don’t give their plumbing in their house a second thought until there is a major problem that they are dealing with. Plumbing issues are something that are no fun. One plumbing problem that can be especially unpleasant is a clogged sewer line. Every pipe in your plumbing system leads back to the main sewer line into your house. When you have an issue with this important part of your plumbing, it can be a nightmare. The Original $49.95 Plumber is here to talk about some of the common causes of a clogged sewer line.
Why Would Sewer Line Get Clogged & Back Up?
When it comes to a clogged sewer line, there is more than one thing that could be causing it. Following are some of the most common causes of clogged sewer line:
– Tree Roots: When the trees on your property were planted, there might not have been much thought given to the sewer line that runs into your home. However, as a tree grows the root system can cause serious issues for your sewer line. It isn’t uncommon for these tree roots to be attracted to the sewer line because of the moisture found there. If they are able to enter the sewer line through a small crack, those tree roots can end up thriving and clogging your drain.
– Pipe Damage: As your sewer line gets older, there are a number of ways that it can sustain damage. Issues like corrosion, shifts in the soil, leaking joints and so on are going to cause big issues for your plumbing system if they are severe enough.
– Sagging Sewer Line: There are some situations where over time the sewer line might start to sag as the soil shifts. If this happens, it can create pea trap situation in the sewer line. Toilet paper and other waste can start accumulating in this part of the pipe and causing the pipe to back up.
– Flushing Things Down the Toilet: When it comes to flushing your toilet, the only thing that should be flushed is toilet paper and waste. You should never flush anything else as it could cause issues with your sewer line. As tempting as it might be to get rid of some of the trash in your house by flushing it down the toilet, you should try your best to avoid that.
– Misusing Your Garbage Disposal: Many people mistake their garbage disposal for a trash can. While it is fine for small bits of food to go down the garbage disposal, you should be throwing most of the waste away in the trash can.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
If you suspect that you have a clogged sewer line, you can call on The Original $49.95 Plumber to come and take a look. We will be able to do a video inspection of your sewer line as we help you get to the bottom of whatever is going on. Call us today!