One of the most common plumbing problems people face in their homes are clogs. By limiting what goes into a home’s drain pipes, many clogs can be avoided in the first place is the good news. Be certain you never flush or pour these items down the drain again to prevent a plumbing fiasco. With this in mind, we at The Original $49.95 Plumber would like to discuss the items you are likely flushing that you need to stop immediately.
Things You Should Never Flush Down the Toilet
1) Cotton Balls, Q-Tips, and Makeup Pads. Rather than break apart when soaked, anything made with cotton is going to absorb water. In any plumbing situation, this is a recipe for disaster.
In the curves of your home’s drain pipes, even small items like Q-tips, cotton balls, and makeup applicators and removers can become wedged it creates an obstruction.
2) Adhesives, Mortar & Other DIY / Craft Supplies. Anything down the drain that’s supposed to harden or stick as it dries is something you likely should not be pouring down the drain. To rinse away the last bit of Gorilla Glue from your latest home improvement project, the sink or bathtub might seem like a convenient place. However, any money you saved by doing DIY work will go straight toward calling a plumber to clear the drain once the adhesive forms a solid blockage in your pipes.
3) Grease. Once it cools off, it solidifies, grease might seem slippery in the pan. When homeowners make a habit of pouring it down the sink, this makes grease a significant problem in plumbing pipes. It can start to form clogs with other materials trying to pass through as grease builds up on the pipe walls deep down in your home’s drains and sewer line, over time.
4) Kitty Litter. That does not mean that it’s good for your home’s plumbing just because a manufacturer claims something is flushable. It can cause it to settle and harden in your drains so flushable kitty litter can cause it to settle and harden in your drains. One that’s already forming, this can create a clog or worsen.
5) Wet Wipes. It is never a good idea to flush wet wipes, even “flushable” ones. Designed to hold their shape in moisture are wet wipes. They would not survive in their original packaging if they were not. As it makes them more likely to cause a clog, sturdiness means that wipes won’t break down as quickly as toilet paper in your drainpipes, unfortunately.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
When it comes to your drains, it is important to avoid putting things down the drain, including flushing it down the toilet. Avoiding the wrong things and you can prevent many clogs from occurring. Should you experience clogs, call in the professionals of The Original $49.95 Plumber and we will happily assist you. With our expertise, advanced equipment, and premium products, our plumbers can help you remove the clogs quickly. Contact us today.