There are many substances that slip down the drain that over time, causes clogs. Hair, soap scum, and grease are the common culprits that buildup in bathroom and kitchen drains. When it comes to these clogs, when you address these issues, many people make mistakes that can simply be inefficient, cause the clog to worsen, or worse, lead to damage. Today, we at The Original $49.95 Plumber would like to share the common mistakes to help you avoid them.
Can Plunging Make a Clog Worse?
1) The Wrong Plunger Use. Plungers are a common tool that free clogs. Below is a quick plunger guide so you can use the right plunger for the right occasion.
– Flat Cup Plunger. Your plunger should form a seal around the drain for the best results. A flat cup plunger is the correct tool in sinks and bathtubs. Over the drain, place the plunger and use moderate force to push the plunger. Too much force can loosen connections and cause leaks under your sink.
– Flange Plunger. Toilet clogs require a flange plunger. This may be the only tool you need to move a clog over the bend with the proper position.
2) Jamming the Auger Down in the Drain. Clog removal is brought to the next level with an auger. The tool makes physical contact with the clog in this case. You will feed it into the pipe until it touches the clog after you thread the device into the drain. You may break up the clog or pull the blockage out of the drain by twisting further. Put pressure on your pipe connections to try and push the clog out with a drain snake. It is time to seek a new method or professional help if you cannot break up the blockage.
3) Chemical Drain Cleaner Use. These chemicals can cause physical harm if it makes contact with you as well as damage the pipes. Anything that goes down your drain goes into your septic system or sewer line as well as the environment. Below is an alternate solution that is safer.
– Into your drain, pour boiling water. The clog will soften from the heat.
– Next, pour one cup of vinegar and one cup of baking soda down your drain. The blockage will loosen disrupt from the bubbles.
– If plug the drain for five minutes, if possible. Pressure is put on the clog from the carbon dioxide buildup that will put to push it down the line.
– Down your drain, pour more boiling water.
– If clog persist, you may need to call in a pro.
4) P-Trap is not Treated. You will notice that the pipe does not go straight down if you look underneath your sink. To prevent sewer gas from flowing out of your sinks, a curved pipe known as the P-trap holds a small amount of water. It is also the most common place for sink clogs to form and helps keep your home healthy.
You may need to remove the P-trap and clean it out by hand when all else fails. This pipe comes standard with connectors at either end that allows you to safely remove the trap by loosening both connections. You will want a bucket handy to prevent a mess since there is water in the pipes. You should be able to clean out the clog by hand or with a brush from there.
Drain Pipe Cleaning, Unclogging & More in Staten Island, Maspeth, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Queens, NYC Boroughs, New York City NY
If you are having trouble with a clog, call The Original $49.95 Plumber and let us assist you.